Dudley North MP has said the latest unemployment figures show the urgent need to invest in skills in the Black Country.
The latest figures show that the unemployment rate in Dudley North is twice the national average and that both the number of young unemployed people and the total number of unemployed are on the increase.
The new official figures show:
- The total number of unemployed claimants in Dudley North constituency in September 2019 was 2,870.
- This represents a rate of 7.4% of the economically active population aged 16-64.
- The equivalent UK claimant rate was 3.7%. The UK unemployment rate, which includes people not claiming benefits and is estimated from survey data, was 3.9% in June to August 2019.
- The number of claimants in Dudley North constituency is 340 higher than September 2018 and 45 higher than August 2019.
- There were 620 claimants aged 18-24 in September 2019, 75 higher than September 2018.
Ian Austin said:
“These stark figures show the urgent need to boost skills and attract new investment, new industries and new jobs to the Black Country.
“In the modern economy, the jobs you get depend on the skills you’ve got and that’s why I keep saying we need to make education and skills the number one priority in Dudley.”